10 places you should know from History/Geography Class!
There are some places in the world you SHOULD know something about. Some have played monumental parts in the history of our species, while others are landmarks in human ingenuity and creativity. Here is a list of 10 places you should know a little about, or at least be aware of their existence. The list could of course be top 100 or even top 1000, but I guess you need to start somewhere : )
1. The Parthenon temple on the Acropolis in Athens is one of the most famous tourist attractions in Greece.
2. The Great Pyramid of Giza (in the middle) is the oldest of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, and was the tallest man-made building for almost 4000 years.
3. The Colosseum in Rome was completed in year 80 AD, and provided spectacular gladiatorial contests for over 50 000 spectators.
4. The Great Wall of China is around 21, 200 km long (13,200 miles) and was built by more than a million people.
5. The Moscow Kremlin is the President of Russia’s residence, and was one of the biggest medieval fortresses in the World.
6. The Grand Canyon is one of nature’s greatest phenomenons and is located in Arizona, USA.
7. The Eiffel Tower was the main symbol of the 1889 World Fair, and was raised as a monument in tribute of the French Revolution that took place 100 years before.
8. The Taj Mahal was finished in 1953, and was built as a mauselum to the third wife of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan, Mumtaz Mahal.
9. Big Ben is the nickname of the Northern corner of Westminister Palace, better known as Houses of Parliament, and is one of the most famous symobol of London, England.
10. Victoria Falls on the Zambezi River, between Zambia and Zaire, is one of the most beautiful places in the world.